Tuesday, March 19, 2019

FANNING ISLAND - THE VISIT - PART ONE


First, the proper name of Fanning Island is Tabuaeran in the independent republic of Kiribat.

For fun this morning I started up my cell phone and went to Google Maps with the Location turned on and to my surprise I got this.  You can SEE why I referred to it as "the middle of nowhere".


We had a nice visit ashore and as you will eventually be able to see in  photos, there is not much there.  Just paths and a dirt road and when it rains, as it did while we wee there, they get muddy.  The water babies got to wade around but, alas, there was really no point in snorkeling as there were few fish.  However, lots of big sand crabs dug into holes all over the place.  You would not want to sleep on the beach there.

It took about 10 minutes to post this one picture this afternoon.  Reminds me of "dial up" speeds of the past.  I will hold off on additional posts until the connection improves then we will revisit Tabuaeran again here.

As I write this the crew is bringing the last tender aboard and the captain is preparing to depart and we will start our approximate 1300 mile journey to Bora Bora, our next stop to the south.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Posted Video

F or those of you who get our postings via email I have discovered, or I should say rediscovered, that video links do not post with the e-ma...