Monday, April 15, 2019

SOME CLOSING STATISTICS/NOTES/THOUGHTS


We had an interesting experience as we left Eurodam and headed for the San Diego airport.  Another passenger had taken one of my bags and left his behind.  We knew this because it was just me and his bag left in the cavernous building where everyone goes to claim their bags.  My bag was on the wrong bus going to the wrong place at the airport.  It all worked out in the end and Holland America reunited me with my bag at the airport and I was able to check it in and it even made it back here to Las Vegas with all the others.  Other than that our departure was orderly and well organized.  Our flight was on time and Jim was there to pick us up.  He even had dinner ready to go after we got back here to the house.

So, this brings the journal of our trip to an end but I thought I would share a few statistics with you to close.

  • Our average speed for the entire trip was 14.8 knots.
  • We traveled 8562 nautical miles which = roughly 9,850 statute miles.
  • The ship used 699,000 gallons of fuel.
  • (That works out to 70.9 gallons per mile. GPM vs MPG)
  • Eurodam's crew of 834 was made up of 44 nationalities.
  • Eggs consumed = 144,000
  • Arlyene and I are now members of the ORDER OF THE PURPLE PORPOISE and GOLDEN SHELLBACKs.
This was a wonderful trip and everything we had hoped it would be.  Definitely a bucket list thing for me.  I highly recommend Holland America Lines, they did a superb job.

As I have said in the past, I journal these things on our blog largely for my own enjoyment and for the joy I get reliving some of our trips by going back and reading previous postings and looking at the photos.  I have also enjoyed sharing these postings with you and hope you found them interesting.

Viva La Verve !  

1 comment:

  1. Walt and Arlyene, congratulations on your 50th anniversary, and on your great trip. And thanks for sharing it with all of us onlookers and gawkers. Your photos were amazing, and beautiful. Aside from some of the scenery shots my favorite photo, the one that will live in my memory forever, was the photo of Arlyene all dressed up in her snorkel. Did you ever get over your embarrassment of walking around the ship with her? :-)

    ReplyDelete

Posted Video

F or those of you who get our postings via email I have discovered, or I should say rediscovered, that video links do not post with the e-ma...