Monday, June 27, 2016

A DAY OF ASCENSIONS


Yesterday 6/26/16 Arlyene and I finally made the ascension up The Highway To The Sun here in Glacier National Park, over Logan Pass and down the other side to St Mary's.  More on that later when our internet connection allows for some photo uploads.

Shortly after getting back into cell phone coverage near St Mary's I received word from my sister-in-law that my younger brother Doug had made his own ascension having passed away shortly before 2 pm.  I only made it to Logan Pass... and I had to come back down.   Doug made it a lot farther and he gets to stay forever.

This BLOG is our Travel Journal.  Sometime our journey takes us to unexpected places.  Today my blog post is a pause to remember Doug who was the "middle" brother, and Glen my youngest brother who is also gone but not forgotten.

Me, Doug, Glen

Gone From My Sight
I am standing upon the seashore. A ship, at my side,
spreads her white sails to the moving breeze and starts
for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength.
I stand and watch her until, at length, she hangs like a speck
of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then, someone at my side says, "There, she is gone."

Gone where?

Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast,
hull and spar as she was when she left my side.
And, she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.
Her diminished size is in me -- not in her.

And, just at the moment when someone says, "There, she is gone,"
there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices
ready to take up the glad shout, "Here she comes!"

4 comments:

  1. I love you, Dad. I miss them all, even though they are only gone from my sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear about Doug. My prayers and thoughts are with you, Arlyene and the family. I love you guys! Xoxo Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for your loss, Walt. Thank you for sharing about Doug. May God comfort his family and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great poem with a lot of truth and comfort. Thanks and condolences to you and your families.

    ReplyDelete

Posted Video

F or those of you who get our postings via email I have discovered, or I should say rediscovered, that video links do not post with the e-ma...