Thursday, July 28, 2016

A SURPRISE VISIT


We have made our way to Ferndale, WA where we just wrapped up a few days with friends.  It was a great time and we really enjoyed ourselves.  Today the last of them left and we were on our own.  Every time we are here I like to drive out to the home my parents built and retired to that overlooks the San Juan Islands.  They bought the property in the mid 1960's and when they did their good friends and neighbors bought the lot next to them.  One of their kids, Colin, and I were the same age.  We attended the same schools from Kindergarten through High School.  Although my parents sold their lot and moved back to Seattle, I suspected that Colin's family still owned their lot so every time we do the drive by I try to see if anyone is there.  Up to today I had no luck with that and had not been successful in contacting Colin in other ways.  We pretty much lost contact over the years and were busy with our own families and careers.  Today was different, we almost ran into each other as Colin drove out his driveway on the way to the hardware store.  We greeted each other as I blocked the road and then we went on and did the hike we had planned nearby while Colin did his errand and later we had a delightful visit with Colin and his wife Leah while we enjoyed the view and the great weather.  It was a great day for us.  Here is a composite of Colin and me with what is most likely our peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, probably about 1952 or 53 and then today - 63 or so years later.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Posted Video

F or those of you who get our postings via email I have discovered, or I should say rediscovered, that video links do not post with the e-ma...